[nabs-l] Social Stuff

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 21:07:11 UTC 2009

Reading this thread makes me think; most of my closest friends are also blind. This is not to say that I don't have sighted friends, I have lots of friends that are sighted. I go to a mainstream school and otherwise fully participate in everything that my sighted friends do. It just seems like my sighted colleagues still treat me differently than they would treat another sighted classmate. It's nothing that I can put my finger on, just an impression I get. Do any of you also find this to be true?

Also do you find that it is easier to make friends with blind people than sighted people? I think it is, because you don't have to deal with the blindness thing. I mean you don't have to teach them that just because your eyes don't work it doesn't make you drastically different than anyone else.

I would appreciate your thoughts,

Mark