[nabs-l] Social Stuff

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri Sep 25 03:29:51 UTC 2009

Teal,

Oh, you're absolutely right! The absolutely insidious nature of
prejudice and judgemental attitudes toward minorities always starts
with assumptions that are confirmed by someone from said minority who
acts them out and mirrors those assumptions back to us! I'm so glad you
noticed that since it's the cornerstone of the blindness experience!
Part of the issue we face is that the sighted base their responses to
us on misconceptions. But we also must give validity to the experiences
the sighted have in which some blind person mirrored the stereotypes
back to them and thus reinforced them. Naturally, the blind often
mirror stereotypes to each other and reinforce them. I'll give you a
fantastic example.

When i was younger, I did more or less the same as the other partially
blind students and guided the totally blind around campus during summer
blind camps. I did this partialy because sighted adults told me to, but
also because the totally blind in my space mirrored the stereotype of
helplessness to me. That didn't change until I met Federationists who
totally blew my thinking out of the water and changed my conception of
what blindness (at any level) really means in our lives.

Thanks so much for bringing that up since It's definitely worth discussing.

As Dr. Jernigan used to say, "The blind often see themselves as others
see them, and thus do much to make perceptions of blindness a reality."
Okay, that's not a direct quote, but it's close enough.

Respectfully,
Jedi