[nabs-l] Social Stuff

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at wisc.edu
Sat Sep 26 01:31:22 UTC 2009

Smile, I think I've made a very similar joke amongst friends once or twice.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I was the only blind student at my
high school, too.  There had been blind students before me, including one
Sean Whalen, so, I was dealing with little sister complex, too, but that's
an entirely different subject.

I wanted to make sure people at my school were educated, so I joined the
school's diversity organization.  I helped educate, and helped my principal
to decide to have a half-day workshop for incoming freshman on acceptance
and tolerance of people who are different from you.  I really do think it
got through to a lot of people.

I spoke to all different age students around the district about overcoming
false barriers that society sets for you and how your limits are only where
you put them.

Well, I'm getting off topic, but there's my own 2.5 cents.

Best,
meghan