[nabs-l] Disagreeing with mother and others

Maria Hernandez hernandezlegorreta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 17:41:35 UTC 2010

Gerardo and all,
I have had a similiar experience dealing with parents, living at home,
dealing with blindness and coming from Mexico. My parents did not
expect me to live on my own after college since I am a woman and they
are very traditional. Also because of my blindness I think that they
had some hesitations. However, I have learned to form some middle
ground with them. I do not let them make decisions about my blindness
and what they can or cannot do for me. When I do visit them, of coarse
I have to deal with their rules as I am in their house. As my mom
says, "es mi casa: but after much dialogue, there are some give and
takes. You have to set your ground on certain issues that are very
important to you such as being independant, as our parents tend to
want to do everything for us. But you also need to keep in mind that
living at home constitutes living on their terms. Hope this helps.
Conchita

--
María De La Concepción Hernández Legorreta