[nabs-l] Disagreeing with mother and others

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue Apr 6 02:55:06 UTC 2010

Gerado,

It may be helpful in understanding your experiences to talk to both
blind and sighted friends in Mexico. It may be that part of your
struggle is reflected in your culture. As I understand it, it's not
uncommon for many children to stay home longer in Mexico than in the
United States whether there is a disability or not. This may be
changing as we speak.

>From the disability point of view, you're right that disabled people
tend to leave home later than their non-disabled peers. Much of this
happens because of lacks in services for education and employment.
Sometimes, disabled people don't get what they need soon enough to make
it possible for them to leave at the same time as their age mates.

>From a much larger perspective, your parents, particularly your mother,
partly identify themselves based on their relationship to you as your
parents. As you grow older, that relationship will change because in a
way, you are becoming more like a peer than their child. Some parents
handle this better than others. The power struggle you are experiencing
may partly be your mother's difficulty in letting you go, especially
since she will be more worried about you than any other children she
may have because of your disability. At the same time, your identity as
her child is changing and you are growing into a man. This is difficult
work. In short, your growing older means that your role in the home
must change and your mother is having trouble adapting.

I suggest to you that you spend time with your mother communicating
about these issues since they are at the root of your experience. Find
a way to create space where each of you can share your concerns and
experiences of changing identity. This conversation will take time to
develop, but it's your best chance unless you are actually able to
leave and put some distance between you.

Respectfully,
Jedi