[nabs-l] math technology

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 15:23:09 UTC 2010

Hi there,

I don't have any answers about the graphic calculator, other than that
I found a graphic calculator essential in Algebra 2. I was sighted at
the time, so I don't know about accessible graphic calculators, but
it'll be very important in Algebra 2 and Calculus. The fact that she's
gotten along without high tech in math is great, and you should be
proud of her for it. I remember using a graphic calculator in Algebra
1 and Geometry and wondering where I'd be without it (of course, that
was partly because of the Frogger and Pac-Man games that kept me busy
while everyone was still working without getting me in trouble for
taking out a book or other game...).

Definitely look into a graphic calculator, though. The one you
mentioned that makes graphics with a Tiger Embosser sounds like a
great thing; sometimes it doesn't matter how much you hear something,
you really need to *see* it, whether with eyes or fingers. I know that
personally, because I am a very visual/tactile learner. Of course for
me now, visual learning means tactilely loking at things, graphics,
and books, but it's still "visual" to me. I see with my fingers, not
my eyes.

Anyway, may I suggest asking further on the NFB Science list as well?
If you want, I can forward your question to them. They would likely
have some good idea of the use of graphic calculators, as they are
essential tools in advanced science.

~Jewel