[nabs-l] Wanting find info Self-discovery O&M method

Dezman Jackson jackson.dezman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 04:40:01 UTC 2010

Gerardo,

The discovery method or what is commonly called structured discovery
learning is a model of travel training for the blind based on the way humans
beings naturally map their environments.  As far as formal instruction goes,
students are given lessons designed to help them discover and learn to
recognize common characteristics of the environment as opposed to just being
given a visual interpretation of their surroundings as in the traditional
method of instruction.  The idea is that the person will acquire the
aability to go into any environment, familiar and unfamiliar, analyze there
surroundings and travel with ease.  This is indeed the approach the NFB
tends to promote and is taught in all three of our training centers.

There are numerous articles written about this method.  One very good and
perhaps the premier book on structured discovery is Richard Mettler's
Cognitive Learning Theory and cane Travel Instruction: a new paradigm.  If
you have access to BookShare, it can be downloaded from there.  Hope that
helps.

Dezman