[nabs-l] summer job

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 01:15:24 UTC 2010

Wisconsin does have a parents' division. Here is the contact for their
president:

NFB Parents of Blind Children
Andrea Beasley, President
Wisconsin Parents of Blind Children
Janesville, Wisconsin
Phone: 608-563-4708
E-mail: abeasley at jb11.net

If you are interested in working with a family with a blind child,
contact her and ask if there are any families looking for childcare.
The worst that can happen is that she says no. Also, aupair.com is a
great place to look for a job as a nanny/aupair. You could even go
overseas for the summer as an aupiar. One suggestion, however. This is
*only* a suggestion from experience. When y ou talk to a family, don't
tell them in your resume that you're blind. Instead, when you are
talking about your interests and what you can do for the family, tell
them that you are an advocate for the blind and a member of the NFB
(or NABS). Put it in with whatever other interests you might have,
such as woodcarving, sewing, reading, touring museums, attending
concerts, etc. Include it, but make it look like just another part of
your life, which it is. But don't wait until the phone interview or
in-person interview. Doing so will mean that you have wasted time and
you've wasted their time if they are not wililng to consider a blind
nanny/aupair. If they are not willing, no amount of persuasion will
help; trust me on this.

Also consider working as a tutor for yournger children, a dog-walker
and/or pet sitter, a house sitter, or a meriad of other odd jobs that
are great for teens. The idea of asking a blind merchant group is also
a great idea. You may not get anything more than a dishwashing or
cashier job, but everyone has to start somewhere. My first
non-babysitting job was dusting shelves and straightening merchandise
at a Hallmark store...it was sooooo boring, but it paid minimum wage,
so I kept at it until I found a better job.

Try craigslist.org and other advertisement sites (Google for "job
listings" and similar phrases), and do the work of slowly weeding
through the not-so-great jobs to find the jobs that are what you want.

Also, don't forget the power of networking! As your family, friends,
fellow Federationists, and teachers if they know of any summer jobs
they think you'd like. If you are interested in restaurants, for
example, if you have a friend who is a waiter, ask if the restaurant
they are at is hiring dishwashers or bussers. It's not glamourous
work, but it pays all right and it's a start. My sister started as a
busser, then went to waitress, and ended up at a much fancier
restaurant as head waitress. She has gone on now, because that was her
"while in college" work, but it shows potential employers that you are
willing to start at the bottom and work hard to climb the ladder.

Good luck!

~Jewel