[nabs-l] Fw: Question

RJ Sandefur joltingjacksandefur at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 22:59:57 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Williams, Antionette
To: RJ Sandefur
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:31 PM
Subject: RE: Question

Yes that is our policy.

Antionette Williams
Bureau Chief, Client Services
325 West Gaines Street
Turlington Building, Suite 1114
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
(850) 245-0322
antionette.williams at dbs.fldoe.org

From: RJ Sandefur [mailto:joltingjacksandefur at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:57 PM
To: Williams, Antionette

Am I reading this policy correctly? I'm concittering re-opening my case, but I want to make shure I have my facts straight, before I proceed.
Out of State Services
DIVISION POLICY 6.14

SUBJECT
Out of State Services

EFFECTIVE DATE
July 9, 2003

REVISION DATE
February 14, 2008

EXPIRATION DATE
This policy will be reviewed annually and updated as needed.

PURPOSE

To provide guidelines for the provision of out-of-state services.

AUTHORITY
34 CFR 361.50(b)

POLICY
The Florida Division of Blind Services has established a preference for in-State services, provided that the preference does not effectively deny an individual a necessary service. If the individual chooses an out-of-State service at a higher cost than an in-State service, and either service would meet the individual's rehabilitation needs, the designated State unit is not responsible for those costs in excess of the cost of the in-State service. However, if the out-of-state services provides a unique service to meet the individual's rehabilitation plan, the Bureau Chief should be contacted to approve or disapproval such a service.

Original signed by Michael Elliott, Bureau Chief, February 14, 2008
Does this mean DBS can tell me, "RJ, we're denying your request to attend LCB, due to causts?" This is only an inquiry, and I wish to get my facts so that I'll be able to have enough information in order to make an informed choice as to where to go from here. I did study with a Seminary, and obtain my master of theology, in 2006, and I was licensed by my church to preach in 2005. It was tough loosing Mom, and I know, she'd want me to continue doing what I believe the Lord has called me to do. However, How am I going to be an effective minister, if I don't have the blindness training, needed to sirvive? Another concern I have, is I have learned some ministers start out as by-vocational. In 2004, until now, I didn't see that aspect of it. I have a batchors degree in criminal justice. Another not so wise disision on my part. Mrs.Williams, I look forward to your answer. Sincerely, Robert Sandefur