[nabs-l] Living by NFB's Philosophy questions

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 22:54:34 UTC 2010

Gerardo,

Be confident and independent because it's something you feel motivated to
pursue for yourself, not because it's an organizational philosophy.
Everyone has the natural ability to be independent.  The NFB just happens to
have a unique way of showing it to you.

As to your question, no one likes relying on other people, especially
relatives, to move about one's daily tasks.  If you have the means to pay a
driver, I think the question is a moot one.  Why wouldn't you hire a driver
to get to your appointments?  If hiring a driver is not a practical
solution, what are the public transportation and alternative transportation
options in your area?  What type of event were you trying to attend, and
would it have been feasible to ask someone also attending to give you a
ride?  Are there friends who would be willing to give you a ride in exchange
for lunch or some other favor?  If you attend church, are there volunteer
opportunities for which you could make your transportation one of those
opportunities?  Are there other community centers where similar volunteer
opportunities could be listed?  If this had been a job interview, what would
you have done?

Ultimately, this so-called NFB philosophy is about confronting challenges
with a myriad of potential solutions.  My own personal philosophy recognizes
that life as a blind person can sometimes be a real pain in the ass, but how
far you get comes down to how innovative you are about finding different
ways out of the problem and how much you learn for the next time you
encounter a similar obstacle.

Good luck to you.

Best,

Joe