[nabs-l] Could someone lend me a hand, please? (Question about juggling multiple items)

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 23:53:27 UTC 2010

I wondered about the reluctance to use a wheelchair as well.  It reminds me
of the sort of reluctance some people have to using braille or a white cane.
Some people resist using these tools because they will appear blind.  It
might cause headaches and fatigue, and it might take much longer, but at
least I am reading print rather than braille.  I might walk into the
occasional poll, and I might trip over the occasional step, but at least I
don't have to walk around with a white cane.  I would be surprised if people
with mobility disabilities don't face the same struggles between trying to
look normal and making use of tools that clearly mark them as different.
Jewell, I no absolutely nothing about your motives, so please don't take
this as me making presumptions about you.  I'm just noting the parallel.  I
myself struggled with the transition to the white cane and waited longer
than I should have.  I hope you are able to come up with a solution that
works best for you.

Best,

Marc