[nabs-l] Could someone lend me a hand, please? (Question about juggling multiple items)

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 17:06:34 UTC 2010

The thing is that, depending on how much money you are able to spend, I'm sure you can find substitutes for your laptop, keyboard and braille display which would be much smaller and portable. Smaller and portable things are not always as convenient as large ones, but maybe if you get used to them...
These days I take notes in class by using my iPhone and a small bluetooth keyboard. Maybe you want a bigger keyboard, but there are bluetooth keyboards of all sizes, and you can connect any of them to an iPhone or iPad. Both of these devices are much, much smaller and lighter than any laptop, and you can use them to take notes and organize them, read and write emails, browse the internet etc. I also know there are small, portable bluetooth braille displays available, and any of those will work just fine with either an iPhone or iPad. Plus, with an iPhone or iPad you can take notes and record the lecture at the same time.
If not, maybe using a BrailleNote would be a good idea. It has a braille display, can record, and can be used to take notes etc.
Basically what I'm saying is that I feel as though for what you need to do, you can find equipment that would be small enough for you to carry around with no need of a huge backpack. I'm really happy taking notes with my iPhone and keyboard. It's like having a laptop without having to take it around all the time. I only use the bluetooth keyboard when I'm writing long texts or taking notes in class. If not, the iPhone by itself is enough.
Just throwing in some ideas...!

Ignasi