[nabs-l] Could someone lend me a hand, please? (Question about juggling multiple items)

V Nork ginisd at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 5 23:46:29 UTC 2010

Dear Jewell, Thanks for your openness in describing some current obstacles
to your academic endeavors.  It sparks me to rethink some of my own balance
and mobility issues on campus.  To best describe my situation,  on a bad day
I can feel almost as if I am walking on stilts across my college .  So,
because of this lack of stability, caused by a couple of things probably
including degenearative disk disease,   just walking along can take a lot of
alertness and  can be draining. This can vary from day to day.  And if I can
rest, it is better for my balance.  But really, I was writing today to
mention something you might try and see if your mobility might benefit.  I
go, as often as I can, to work out classes held in a warm water pool in a
gym just nearby my apartment in San Diego.  The class involves some aerobics
and strengthening exercises done in water about four and one half feet and
the water is heated to ninety five degrees.  The water only seems delicious
and relaxing at that temperature, and after a while  of being in the medium
sized swimming pool it feels lukewarm or even tepid, so it is not a problem
in the summer.  Also the pool is in an air conditioned room.   One benefit,
not obvious unless you have balance problems, is that since you are in
water, you have no fear at any level of falling, even if your usual risk of
falling is slight, this is still a relief.   The classes have as a main
benefit to work to reduce pain.  The water  also helps to warm up  and
strengthen muscles and  lubricate joints, I am told, which helps keep people
mobile.  The class  is designed for arthritis patients, since it is put on
by the arthritis society and costs five dollars, but absolutely anyone could
benefit, in my view , in terms of pain relief, balance and lack of
stiffness.  Not to mention the endorphins usually associated with exercise.
I wonder if there is something similar, involving a hot water workout, that
is convenient for you.  Best always, Ginnie