[nabs-l] Cars for the Blind

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 17:20:04 UTC 2010

Peter wrote:
***

We all have a right to disagree but when those disagreements cross the line
and result in the destruction of the dreams, desires, and aspirations of
those who imagine a future full of possibilities someone is going to sound
the alarm and say, "Enough!"

***

1. Who gets to determine when and how that line of disagreement is crossed?
I think this statement is eerily representative of the position the
leadership has taken toward its members.

2. How is the expression of disagreement going to destroy people's dreams?
I think people dream of employment and general social acceptability.  I can
agree that having a car that is fully integrated and accessible would be
nice, but I think you would agree people are intelligent enough to
distinguish between what is a personal dream and what is a wish.  I am fully
employed and run a business on the side, neither of which was accomplished
by driving a car.

3. How do you respond to my practical points about affordability, attitude,
logistics, proper training, etc?  It seems that if we cannot answer those
questions beforehand, we are leaving too much to chance and raising millions
of dollars for some skewed priorities.  Does it not strike anyone as
backward that at the height of an economic recession where thousands of jobs
are being lost each month, we are choosing to spend money on a distant
reality, when we could be spending that money on hosting job fares, employer
training, co-op opportunities and other job readiness programs?

4. How can the airplane analogy stand when blind pilots are still not
allowed to take off or land with assistance let alone independently?  Let's
at least use comparable examples.

I have faith that in a distant future technology will have evolved to make
cars for the blind an acceptable reality.  Yet, I wonder if the NFB is the
right vehicle to devote its limited resources to the cause.  For many years
we have heard about the overwhelming unemployment rate among blind people,
and if the best evidence of putting a dent in that unemployment rate is the
promise of a car in the distant future, I think we have fallen dramatically
short of the mission we claim to serve.  As long as we continue to hear
about cases like the one in Missouri where the blind couple had their baby
taken away simply because they were blind, there is an enormous of work for
us to do right here and now in the present without exhausting precious
resources on a far removed future.

I'm an imaginator alright.  I imagine a world with a better education system
to prepare tomorrow's generation of leaders.  I imagine a world where the
technology we use right now does not break a person's bank.  I also imagine
a world where my dozens of blind and sighted friends without a job will be
able to be hired somewhere despite the economy.  Sadly, our world runs on
money, and if you don't have it, that's all you'll do in life, is imagine.

Respectfully,

Joe