[nabs-l] Cars for the Blind

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:16:33 UTC 2010

Hello,

I do not pretend to take a position just because it is the dream, especially
if I think it is the wrong dream.

Priorities must be focused on advancing the lives of blind people, and this
is best done by addressing the rate of unemployment the blind face.

To think that a prohibitively expensive car will be the way to that mean is
ignoring the dilemma of who pays for your sixty thousand dollar car so you
can have a job making $30 thousand a year.

Will we go down to Washington to convince the government that they should
pay for these cars for any blind person who thinks they want or need one?

How about driver's ed? Will I need training at one of the top 3 training
centers in the country so I can learn the philosophy that it is respectable
to be a blind driver?

And how will I get to the job interview, if I don't have the money to
purchase the car?

I would agree that autonomous driving would benefit all, including the
blind. What's so hot about knowing you're controlling all the aspects of
driving, except that this is the way we do it now?

Smart highways would likely eliminate accidents, as was pointed out, no
matter who is inside the car.

I too want to be proven wrong, and be able to drive in my lifetime, but I
would much rather know that blindness is not a factor in deciding if I am
good enough to work in my chosen field.

this is the path we're headed in, but no, I don't have to take it in as if I
agreed with the idea wholeheartedly.

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr.

Student, Western Governors University
(617) 744-9716