[nabs-l] Fw: Desktop Texting Applications

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 12 15:16:44 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

    I use JFW 11 and have a moderate hearing impairment. It's to the point
that I keep my PC volume rather loud and view the HD channels when watching
T.V. I've used hearing aids but don't get the total sound spectrum. Most
listening devices do great at giving you the highs but they stink where
reproducing low-frequency sounds are concerned. Many of the audio captchas
I've encountered are in the low frequency end and are so garbled that even
sighted persons can't understand them let alone someone with any degree of
hearing loss.

    But again this misses the point. If we're going to engage in fundraising
or other activities that require the interaction with an Internet resource
more effort needs to be made to ensure that that resource is usable by a
large number of us including those with additional disabilities such as
hearing loss. If information for texting Pepsi via cell phone and PC had
been provided this thread might not have been on this list. ?Any way we're
preparing to move in two weeks so I need to concentrate on that. All the
best.

Peter Donahue