[nabs-l] update on dog training career. need help!

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 17 04:12:35 UTC 2010

Hello Meghan and everyone,

    As was true last week please read my messages carefully. I knew of a
blind person who successfully trained police and guide dogs and had
nonvisual ways of reading aggressiveness in a dog. I'm not sure if this
gentleman is still alive let alone training dogs. In addition to being blind
he also had seizures.

    I also grew up in a home we shared with 14 Boxer dogs plus brood stock
that lived in several kennels. I came to know each dog's disposition and
temprament using various nonvisual techniques to judge what kind of day they
were having, who was friendly, and who should be delt with caution. If I
needed to deal with one of the more aggressive dogs I handled him/her
myself.

    Clipper was a very quiet house dog who would let you pet him or do
whatever else you wanted to do to him. I always knew when he was sleeping
because he had a unique snore. Honeyboy on the other hand would let you know
on no uncertain terms that his body belonged to him and that he was the
boss! He lived in one of the kennels and was very lively. His behavior let
me know both nonvisually as well as letting others know visually that he was
a male dog to be handled with caution.

    Dutchis was one of our brood bitches who gave birth to four pups in
1964. She along with several other dogs in the breeding stock would not
allow just anyone to handle her puppies. Her growl was venomous if you bent
over her to touch her pups. Eventually I discovered that by talking to her
gently and patting her away from the litter she became easier for me to read
and handle something any sighted dog trainer would do. By observing her
breathing, her pulse, and how she behaved around me I knew she was gaining
confidence in me. Soon I was able to approach her and the pups without her
becoming protective. When her breating and pulse were normal I knew she was
relaxed and could handle the pups safely.
    Hence it's possible to work with all types of dogs without vision.
Perhaps others on the list can share their alternative techniques used when
managing dogs and other animals to give Valerie the information she needs to
encourage these organizations to allow her to prove herself.

    Peter Donahue who will soon be writing to you from the Acacia.