[nabs-l] Why go through all of that trouble

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 03:51:24 UTC 2010

Well certainly. I would certainly advise against taking a figure drawing
course if you have absolutely no vision and no sound idea of how you're
going to function in the course. But the vast majority of courses with
visual elements cannot be avoided without unreasonably limiting one's
opportunities.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Rob Blachowicz <rob_blach at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I partially agree with you but there are some courses that  iwould disagree
> such as a course that deals with complete visual interpretation  unless your
> taking a arts major.

>  I'm sorry, but I have to be honest, that sounds down right unrealistic. It
>> may work for some majors, but for the vast majority of fields, you simply
>> cannot avoid classes with visual elements, and it is this kind of thinking
>> that causes a lot of blind students to not even consider careers in, for
>> example, STEM fields. Anyway, if you avoid facing situations where you'll
>> have to find a way to deal with visual elements all through college, when
>> will you get the hang of dealing with them? When you're a working adult
>> who,
>> despite ADA compliance at work, still has to find a way to read
>> non-electronic mail, materials that simply can't be made accessible in a
>> timely enough manner, etc? I can say from esperience that working with a
>> reader is a pain in the nect, especially for special circumstances like
>> these, but while striving to get the accommodations you need can be
>> tiresome, better you do it now and get good at doing it than limit your
>> opportunities as a blind individual to save yourself the hassle.
>>
>> Best of luck. i really hope everything works out for you.
>>
>> -Jamie
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Brian Hatgelakas <
>> brian.hatgelakas at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>  As a student who successfully graduated from college I think that you
>>> Tina
>>> should try to avoid all classes with visual elements.  Depending on how
>>> much
>>> time and energy your reader has to do this tactile work is probably
>>> minimal
>>> at best.  Do as much writing work as possible if the reader can't be in
>>> your
>>> class room with you.  What is your major Tina?  I was a broadcast