[nabs-l] Use of Digital Voice Recorders in the Classroom

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 04:02:58 UTC 2010

1. Ask the professor for their permission just as a general courtesy.

2. Make sure the recording device will not be close enough to your notetaker
to pick up the clatter of your typing unless the keyboard on the notetaker
is quiet.  For this reason I would not use the same device to take notes and
record unless you are using a Braille Sense, which I dare say is most quiet
of all the notetakers for the blind out there.

3. Make use of indicator tones, if available, to segment the recording to
keep track of changing topics.

4. If you are recording, only jot down key points.  Later you can fill in
the gaps, but allow yourself to fully concentrate and absorb what's being
discussed.  It sounds like an elementary point, but I know people, namely
myself, who try to pull off a stenographic record.

I use an Olympus digital recorder, small and excellent sound quality for
lecture and conference environments.

Joe