[nabs-l] Need Advice: Environmental Science Course

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 05:34:24 UTC 2010

Hi Tina and all,

As others mentioned, you can simply ask your instructor whether the
older edition will be OK or if you need the newest one, and go from
there. If the instructor is using the textbook as a supplement, but
not assigning homework strictly based on what is in the text, you will
probably be fine with the older edition unless there are drastic
changes.

I was a bio major in college and took two semesters of general bio
with labs and two semesters of general chemistry with labs. All my bio
labs and almost all my chem labs were done in pairs or groups, so I
could participate equally in almost all aspects of the lab projects in
collaboration with my group. The only accommodation that's generally
necessary is to ask your partner(s) to verbalize what is happening in
the experiment. This kind of discussion is good for helping all group
members clarify and understand the information gained in the lab. With
this information conveyed verbally, you can participate as an equal
partner in the processes of experiment design, data recording,
analysis, and writing/reporting. Keeping your instructor in the loop
is great, but I don't think you need to ask for any special
accommodations if it's a group/partner lab. If for some reason you
have to complete lab experiments on your own, you may or may not need
a reader depending on whether you'll need to know about visual things
happening in your experiment, such as color changes or readings on
inaccessible measuring devices.

Finally, taking advantage of your instructor's office hours if you get
confused about any course material is a good idea. But, don't assume
that you'll necessarily be struggling more than other students. You
may benefit from tactile diagrams, but you may also find that the
diagrams are redundant and you can follow the course concepts without
them. You should have a good feel after a week or two of class about
what kind of additional accommodations, if any, you could benefit
from.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org