[nabs-l] accessible products

Josh Kennedy jkenn337 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:45:28 UTC 2010

Hi

My question is this. Why is the nfb and ACB and AFB not pushing for
accessibility in x-box, accessible nintendo wii? accessible dvr? If we
had these things it would put us on an even more equal level with
sighted people. Why not push for companies to add text-to-speech to the
dvr? x-box, nintendo? make both braille and text to speech a standard on
washing machines, dryers, and other appliances? Also instead of striking
out on its own, why doesn't the nfb, ACB and AFB all work with google
and apple to make the ultimate car that blind people can drive? Clearly
there's a lot of work to be done still. Does the nfb ACB and AFB not
care about such matters as accessible x-box, accessible nintendo, and
dvr? Don't get me wrong we have more choices than we did ten years ago
ut there's still a long way to go I think. In some ways with tv and dvr
and stuff we're behind with the technology. That's good that apple tv is
accessible. But the fact remains that my dish network dvr box, and my tv
set doesn't have talking menus and a talking program guide. Also for
some reason descriptive video is more prevalent in the United Kingdom
than here in the USA. why? why is that? So far in the United States,
deaf people get more on tv than we do. closed captioning is everywhere,
but for blind folks there is very little in the way of descriptive video
unless you get it from the united kingdom. I'm simply stating facts here
guys on issues that I feel nfb ACB and AFB must address in order for us
to be on a more equal level with the sighted people we interact with
everyday.

Josh