[nabs-l] accessible products

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 19:22:39 UTC 2010

Josh,
You should read about the new Technology Access Act...I don't know
details, and I'm so out of it today, but I wanted to at least get you
looking for it. President Obama just signed it. It is to mandate
access to technology and appliances for the disabled, including the
blind. It covers television menus, DVS, closed caption for the deaf,
touch screen accessibility for stoves, microwaves, washing machines,
and all sorts of products. It also covers phones and computer access.
It is a great bill, but I am still waiting to see it start to be
pushed. I haven't heard any news on anything being done after the
signing of the bill.

I know, video games are great and fun. But there are much more
important things, including menus on televisions, DVD players,
cellphones, touchscreen appliances, kiosks, ATMs, and even card
machines at stores (there is a Rite-Aid near me that doesn't have
accessible card machines, meaning when I swipe my card, I have to
either swipe it as credit or have someone else put in my PIN. Not
cool!

Anyone know what President Obama is doing to push this bill he just
signed for access to technology and appliances?

--
~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!