[nabs-l] Audio Books from RFB&D Are Now Accessible on the Mac

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Dec 1 14:46:56 UTC 2010

[]

Audio Books from RFB&D Are Now Accessible on the Mac

A new software player for Mac and Windows users
makes reading and educational content more
accessible for people with learning differences.

Princeton, NJ (Vocus) November 29, 2010

Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic® (RFB&D®), the
nation’s largest provider of educational audio
textbooks, announced that its entire collection
is now accessible on Mac as well as Windows
operating systems through the introduction of
RFB&D ReadHear, developed by gh, LLC in partnership with RFB&D.

“This is truly a milestone on our path to make
educational content more accessible for those who
need it most,” says Andrew Friedman, acting CEO
of RFB&D. “Our individual and institutional
members are eager to tap the spectrum of
assistive technologies available today. While
satisfying users who have been asking for access
to our materials on the Mac, this dual-platform
approach also provides an advanced solution for
our large base of Windows users. We look forward
to widening their range of accessibility even more in the coming year.”

Background:
    *     This long awaited development is the
result of RFB&D’s extensive collaboration with
gh, LLC, an assistive technology company
specializing in access to information for people
with visual, learning or physical disabilities.
    *     A new dual-platform software player
developed by gh enables users to access the
entire library of RFB&D DAISY-formatted content
on both Mac and Windows systems. The new
technology will also support RFB&D’s developing
generation of content containing digital text and audio.
    *     Thanks to funding provided by the U.S.
Department of Education, RFB&D will license the
player to individual members for free (one copy
per member, renewable after one year).
    *     A brief video product demonstration of
the new RFB&D ReadHear solution is posted at
http://www.rfbd.org/readhear]. The page is a
one-stop info hub for Mac OS and Windows users,
featuring technical specifications, “How To” and
“Quick Start” documents; and an FAQ.
    *     Institutional members (e.g. school
systems) can obtain information and price quotes
regarding licensing opportunities by contacting
James Higgins, Vice President RFB&D Programs and
Services at jhiggins(at)rfbd(at)org.
“This is a positive step forward for
accessibility,” says Alexa Posny, Assistant
Secretary in the Office of Special Education and
Rehabilitative Services at the U.S. Department of
Education. “People with learning differences can
thrive when their menu of technology options is open and diverse.”

““I found ReadHear very easy to download and set
up, and it really streamlines the study process,”
says Elizabeth Burns, a visually impaired
graduate student in upstate New York who is
pursuing her doctorate in American History. “I
spend several hours reading and studying every
day, using a few devices along with my computer.
I was constantly shifting between devices to
listen and take notes. Now by being able to
access a recorded book and take notes on my
computer, it’s a matter of just a few keystrokes
between one program and the other, which is
marvelous because it reduces the amount of physical effort.”

“gh has worked as the industry leader for many
years on developing state-of-the-art software to
support DAISY books on a variety of platforms,”
adds Dave Schleppenbach, President of gh, LLC.
“Our mission is to assist as many students as
possible with cutting-edge technology to support
their varied learning styles. Working with RFB&D
is a tremendous opportunity to reach students
across the country, hopefully changing lives for the better.”

About Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic®
Founded in 1948, RFB&D serves more than 270,000
K-12, college and graduate students, as well as
veterans and lifelong learners – all of whom
cannot read standard print due to blindness,
visual impairment, dyslexia, or other disability.
RFB&D's collection of more than 63,000 digitally
recorded textbooks and literature titles –
delivered through internet downloads, various
assistive technology devices, and CD – is the
largest of its kind in the world. More than 5,400
volunteers across the U.S. help to record and
process the books, which students rely on to
achieve educational success and entry into the
workforce. RFB&D, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, is funded
by grants from the U.S. Department of Education,
state and local education programs, and the
generous contributions of individuals,
foundations and corporations. For more
information, call (866) 732-3585 or visit http://www.rfbd.org].

About gh, LLC
gh, LLC is an award-winning assistive technology
company providing access to information for
people with a visual, learning or physical
disability, whether they are reading a textbook,
publication, standardized test, or website.
Conversion services include Braille, tactile
graphics, Digital Talking Books, and NIMAS
formats. For more information on gh, LLC, click here.

Contact: Doug Sprei, Director of Media Relations
dsprei(at)rfbd(dot)org; (202) 684-8915

# # #

Contact Information
Doug Sprei, Director of Media Relations