[nabs-l] music majors

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 18:06:32 UTC 2010

Hello Jessica:

     I suggest you check out the offerings from Dancing Dots. If memory
serves, their website is:
www.dancingdots.com

They have books to help people learn braille music. I have a minor in music
and also have perfect pitch. I could not have gotten through some of the
courses without knowing how to read braille music. I do admit however that
braille music is an odd system. For those of you who don't know; braille
music does not use a staff. The notes are specified using dots 1, 2, 4 and
5. The notes are based on the C major scale. In braille music, the notes c,
d, e, f, g, a and b are represented with the letters d, e, f, g, h, i and j.
The time values are represented with dots 3 and 6. Whole notes have both
dots, half notes have dot 3, quarter notes have dot 6 and eighth notes have
no dots below the letter. As a result C a whole note looks like y and D a
whole note looks like Z. Intervals are reckoned up in the left hand and down
for the right hand for keyboard music. As a result, a C major chord for the
left hand looks different from the same chord for the right hand. Awkward
this system may be, but a serious musician needs to know it.

Regards,

robert Jaquiss