[nabs-l] Independence with a Price Tag

Aziza daydreamingncolor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 03:45:35 UTC 2010

My question, and I hope this makes sense... is:
If these things, like screen reading software, and such is becoming a
standard necessity for blind people, why hasn't the price gone down? I mean,
that's normally what happens with technology right? New stuff is really
expensive, but overtime as it becomes used by a large amount of people the
price goes down. So, if their is a specific population of people using this
stuff, why hasn't the price decreased?

Also, does anyone know if the tech manifactures have considred taking a look
at assistive tech and trying to make built in features on their general
pieces of technology? Like, a computer with built in screen reader
capabilitys, but one that actually works well enough so that we don't need
to go and buy a separate one. If it was standard and included wouldn't it
cost less?