[nabs-l] Independence with a Price Tag

Briley Pollard brileyp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 05:36:48 UTC 2010

Apple is really the leader in built in accessibility, and yes, I think that is the only way we're going to see a decrease in what we pay to use technology. If mainstream devices start coming with built in accessibility features, that would be a preferable solution. To answer your question, if a huge company like Freedom Scientific has 80 percent of the market share, and people are paying $800 for their screen reader...why would they lower their price? They may eventually go to a payment plan, but they really have no incentive business wise to do so. Blind people may be pissed at how much things cost...but at the end of the day, the companies still get the money. If we want a change, we'll have to stop using their products. The rub is that they're good products, and probably in many ways more efficient than the cheaper options.

Just some thoughts,
Briley