[nabs-l] Dealing with DVD project

Winy Kwany winy_kwany at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 17:30:13 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I need inputs, ideas and suggestions. We are asked to do DVD reviews for Music History subject. For instance, we are now studying Baroque music and there is a DVD entitled "Tamerlino" by Handel. We are asked to write every detail that we can see and listen. I am totally blind, so what I can get from watching a DVD is very limited than what my sighted friend gets. We have tried to work together as best as we can. She is willing to tell me info that we need such as title, composer, conductor, story line, etc, but that's all that she can do. The opera is not sung or spoken in English. For sighted people, it is not a problem since they can read the English translation on the screan, but for me, it's really a problem. It's impossible for me to expect her to read everything. The DVD is 90-120 minutes long, and we have to finish watching it in one week. It's difficult to find time to watch it together because of different schedule, and if we do find time,
 again, not realistic to expect her to read everything.
Would you give me any tips, suggestions, and things that I can do to deal better with this? I will have this DVD's project from this semester onwards, from Baroque to 20th century music. We will watch many things, especially opera. Any suggestions?
Any help will highly apreciated. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Many thanks.
Winy.