[nabs-l] Independence with a Price Tag

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 00:23:47 UTC 2010

David,

I don't know that companies can have it both ways.  On the one hand you're
saying that the cost of sales and marketing justifies the current price of
adaptive products, but then you say that we have to consider the fact that
there is a small market.  The Freedom Scientifics of the world are not
exactly pitching radio and television commercials.  They may be spending a
little money on Internet advertisement, but after a product is launched, do
you really see that many ads competing for business?  If we can agree that
the government is an adaptive company's largest customer, I think we could
agree there is something to be said for customer loyalty, a loyalty whose
need for extravagant sales and marketing is minimal.  I would argue that it
is blind people themselves who carry the bulk of the marketing through their
blogs, podcasts and list posts.

Where does profit measure into your logic model?  You can't possibly think
the money is all being spent on sales, marketing and support.  By the way,
the support at Freedom Scientific isn't exactly scientific.  Too many times
I have found better help on the lists than I have from their
representatives.  This is, of course, not true across the board.  There are
a couple of great guys over there, but my point is that we should not
minimize the amount the executives are pocketing at our expense.  Would
Wafra Partners have bought Freedom Scientific if it did not see something to
gain from the purchase?  Here here for capitalism, but surely these
executives must know that better products would also mean greater demand.

I don't know how much it costs to develop a single notetaker.  I think they
could have made a better Pac Mate seeing as how all they did was transplant
an existing operating system and screen reader.  I think JAWS 11 could have
had more to it than the Research It feature.  What I do know is that
companies like Freedom Scientific and Humanware have a development roadmap.
We may be in the dark about what may lie in three upgrades from now, but
their engineers know what they're going to consist of.  If what you say is
true that the money is comparable to the cost of what it takes to get the
product out, then I think consumers have every right to put pressure on the
companies to speed up those roadmaps.

A couple of computer science students have been asking Humanware to release
a public version of the SDK so that they can release their own applications
to extend the functionality of the new Apex.  Humanware has said it would
only sell the SDK to companies, and from what I understand, these prices are
not low.  What does that tell you about the company's interest in extending
development?

I do not mean to oversimplify the problem.  I also do not mean to trivialize
the contributions of adaptive developers.  I would like to see opportunities
for more working professionals to afford the technology.  If, however, I and
others are going to be expected to shell out hundreds, sometimes thousands,
of dollars to get the latest software release or hardware upgrades, we want
more for our hard-earned money.  Consumer satisfaction is also part of that
capitalism monster, and for too long we have been given bits and pieces and
have been expected to be satisfied.

Talk to us a little more about this subsidy program.  You may be on to
something.  I hope to get my little group of interested people into action
here in the next couple of weeks.  Part of it is finding the time to
coordinate it all between a full-time job and running a part-time business.
My group have their own schedules to juggle, but I really am confident about
the outcomes.  We're not going to fail on account of lack of hard work.

Joe Orozco