[nabs-l] Federal Judge Orders the National Conference of Bar Examine...

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 22:23:30 UTC 2010

Examiners to Provide Individualized Testing Accommodations to Blind Law
School Graduate

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen, National Federation of the Blind,
(410) 659-9314,  ext. 2330
Scott LaBarre, LaBarre Law Offices, P.C., (303)
504-5979
Daniel Goldstein, Brown, Goldstein & Levy, LLP,
(410) 962-1030

Anna Levine, Disability Rights
Advocates,  (510) 665-8644

Federal Judge Orders the National

Conference of Bar Examiners
to Provide Individualized Testing  Accommodations

to Blind Law School Graduate

San

Francisco, California (February 5, 2010): A

federal court has  ruled that the National Conference of Bar Examiners
(NCBE)

will cause  a blind law school graduate irreparable harm unless it provides
her

the technology-based testing accommodations she needs to take two  exams
required

to become a member of the State Bar of  California.  The court issued its
ruling in an order

granting the  law school graduate’s motion for preliminary injunction on

Thursday,  February 4, 2010.  The

court’s ruling allows the plaintiff,  Stephanie Enyart, to take the
February 2010

Multistate Bar Examination  (MBE) and March 2010 Multistate Professional

Responsibility  Examination (MPRE) on a laptop computer equipped with the

assistive  technology software Ms. Enyart relies upon for screen reading
(JAWS)

and screen magnification (ZoomText).

Dr. Marc Maurer,  President of the National Federation

of the Blind, said: “The National  Federation of the Blind is extremely
pleased

with the ruling in this  case.  Law

and equity simply do not permit the NCBE to dictate a  one-size-fits-all
solution

for all bar candidates with  disabilities.  We hope that this ruling will
cause the

NCBE to  think long and hard before it denies the requested accommodations
of

applicants to take its examinations.”

The plaintiff,

Stephanie Enyart, said: “A little

over a year ago I sent my  first request for accommodations on the March
2009

MPRE, and tonight I  can go to sleep knowing when and how I can effectively
take

the exams  to fulfill my dreams.”

Anna Levine of Disability Rights

Advocates, an attorney representing the plaintiff, said: "I

hope that our hard-fought victory here will send a message to testing

organizations that they need to comply with the ADA and provide each
individual test taker with

a disability the accommodations that he or  she needs to demonstrate his or
her

actual knowledge, skills, and  abilities."

The suit was filed on November 3, 2009, due to the

NCBE’s refusal, on multiple occasions during the past year, to allow  Ms.
Enyart

to use the same technology on the MBE and MPRE that she has  used on
university

and law school exams and in various jobs and  internships.  The suit
charged that the NCBE violated

the  Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and California’s Unruh Civil
Rights Act  by denying

accommodations on the MBE and the MPRE.

NCBE had argued that it fulfilled its legal

obligations to Ms. Enyart by offering alternative accommodations, such  as

human reader, notwithstanding evidence that these alternatives  did not, in
fact,

accommodate Ms. Enyart’s disability.  In  rejecting NCBE’s argument, the
court’s

ruling paves the way for other  individuals prevented from pursuing their

professional dreams by high  stakes testing providers who take a rigid
approach

to disability  accommodations.

The plaintiff is represented with the  support of the

National Federation of the Blind by LaBarre Law  Offices, P.C., in Denver,
Colorado, and by

Brown, Goldstein &  Levy, LLP, in Baltimore, Maryland.  The plaintiff is
further represented  by

Disability Rights Advocates, a nonprofit law center that  specializes in
civil

rights cases on behalf of persons with  disabilities, based in Berkeley,
California.

###

About the National Federation of

the  Blind

With more than 50,000 members, the

National Federation of  the Blind (NFB) is the largest and most influential

membership  organization of blind people in the United

States.

The  NFB improves blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,

research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and

self-confidence.  It is the leading

force in the  blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind.
In January  2004 the NFB opened the

National Federation of the Blind Jernigan  Institute, the first research
and

training center in the United

States for the blind led by the blind.