[nabs-l] frustrated with facebook!

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 21:51:08 UTC 2010

Maybe instead of going to the regular site and clicking on mobile, go
to m.facebook.com I think there might be a couple of links about
activating your phone and such, but other than that, it is clean.
Clicking on mobile might outline the features of facebook mobile
rather than take you to the mobile site, but i have never clicked on
it, so taht is just a thought.

I understand though, facebook is quite annoying, but with as many
users as it has, it can be.

A lot of the applications are accessible though, and sometimes
facebook is finicky not because of your screen reader, because i know
several sighted friends who have problems. I feel like it is almost
unavoidable with how many users there are and with how much is going
on on the site.

The mobile site is definitely useful for wall posts and sending
messages and such, but isn't for other things such as the fact that it
does not verbalize captions people might right on their pictures, and
it doesn't give all of the information about groups and events, so
depending on what i want to do, i switch between the regular and
mobile site.

One problem i just started encountering with JAWS 11 though is that
when i enter an edit box, i am unable to get out of it. It has gotten
to the point where i have to close the window and open another.

Firefox helps ith some facebook problems but also presents others. For
example, i cannot edit the heading about myself, the "write something
about yourself" link unless i use firefox, but as of a couple of
months ago, firefox wouldn't allow me to go offline. So i haven't
found a browser that works optimally with JAWS and facebook. I will
definitely be excited when voiceover improves.

Cindy