[nabs-l] National Federation of the Blind Announces 2010 Race for Independence

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Jan 20 02:00:56 UTC 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind
Announces 2010 Race for Independence

Fundraising Effort to Focus on Access to Technology for Blind Americans

Baltimore, Maryland (January 19, 2010): The National Federation of
the Blind (NFB), the oldest and largest organization of blind people
in the United States, today announced the 2010 Race for Independence,
a fundraising effort focused on improving access to technology by
blind Americans and supporting other NFB initiatives.  The Race for
Independence is designed to raise funds for the National Federation
of the Blind Imagination Fund, which supports the education,
technology, and research projects of the NFB Jernigan Institute, as
well as programs conducted by the fifty-two affiliates and over seven
hundred local chapters of the Federation.  The Race for Independence
will also bring public attention to the need for full and equal
access for blind Americans to modern technology, in everything from
home appliances to automobiles.  The initiative begins with a
six-month campaign to raise funds from NFB members and friends that
will close on July 31, 2010.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "The Imagination Fund represents the hopes and aspirations of
blind Americans.  Through this effort we are able to create
innovative research, training, education, and technology programs
that improve the lives of the blind and move us closer to our
ultimate goal of full integration into society on a basis of
equality.  The crisis in Braille literacy for blind children and
advances in technology that, if not properly designed, will threaten
the independence of the blind mean that time is of the essence.  But
I am confident that with the help of our members and friends, we will
ensure that blind children are literate and can pursue the

career of their choice; that blind people have access to cutting-edge
technology; and that opportunities for all blind Americans are
limited only by our capacity to dream."

Parnell Diggs, Chairman of the NFB Imagination Fund, said: "The Race
for Independence is quite simply the expression of our desire to
speed toward our goal of achieving first-class citizenship status in
society at an ever-increasing pace.  It is the anchor of the National
Federation of the Blind's Imagination Fund, the annual campaign to
raise proceeds for NFB programs at the national, state, and local levels."

To sign up to be an Imaginator and help build the Imagination Fund,
please visit
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/>www.raceforindependence.org or
call (410) 659-9314, extension 2371.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.   The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.