[nabs-l] how to meet more people and get involved in activities

Serena serenacucco at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 04:20:09 UTC 2010

Hi Beckie,

As others have mentioned, looking on the college web site for activities or
contacting the student activities office can be helpful.  If these options
aren't accessible or don't work, if you happen to be religious, ask the
priest (or whatever religious figure) on campus for guidance.  Religious
figures are often open-minded people and quite tolerent of people who are
different.  Also, if you use readers for books that aren't available in
accessible format, readers could become your acquaintances or friends.  I
even met some of my friends randomly on campus and they became great
friends.

I'll admit, going to events off-campus isn't always simple.  Besides the
issue of transportation, there are other barriers that may exist, depending
on your skill level in cane travel.  One time, I really wanted to go to a NY
Knicks basketball game.  (The trip was sponsored by the school, so we were
all going on a bus from there.)  Nobody I knew was going--many of my friends
hated sports ... some wanted to go, but had other obligations that night.  I
called the student activities office to ask for names of students who were
going, but, for some stupid, bureaucratic reason, the person in charge
refused to tell me!  Finally, I asked the priest if he knew of anyone from
our church group who was going.  Unfortunately, he didn't.  Before I knew
it, he had called the student activities people and got them to tell him the
chaperone who was going.  (This was a chaperone for all the students,
nothing to do with my being blind.)  It turned out that I knew the chaperone
from a club I was in.  She helped me stay with the group in the city and I
had a great time!

Serena