[nabs-l] Debra Kendrick's article on Gov David Paterson

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Jan 27 16:46:44 UTC 2010

Alex,

I agree with you, and I suspect that debra would also agree, that David
paterson has accomplished a great deal given the current climate
concerning blindness. Unfortunately, the fact that he hasn't got
blindness skills is starting to confirm the public image of blindness.
debra mentions articles in which sighted commentators are starting to
blame his blindness for various political mishaps and bad decisions on
his part. Some of them, as exemplified in the two Saturday night Live
skits featuring the Governor, make fun of him and his blindness and I
suspect that there's some truth in what they're saying. That may be
unpleasant to hear, but humor doesn't come from thin air. Usually,
blindness humor comes from lack of information, fear, and often
observations of blind people who seem not to be well oriented to life
in general. I'm not saying that Paterson is disoriented to life in
general, but it is fair to say that his lack of blindness skills may
cause him to appear less oriented in public than his sighted colleagues.

Debra also mentions his rather conservative stance in disability
politics. Interesting enough Helen Keller was, like Paterson, very
liberal on most issues but very conservative in disability politics. In
Paterson's case, I suspect that his stoic upbringing caused his
conservatism: if I can do it without special treatment of any kind, so
can they. Unfortunately, from what I've read, Paterson seems to have
confused special treatment with access to very unique skill sets and
opportunities for access to ppublic environments Ironically, it's these
opportunities for access which make us able to compete equally with the
nondisabled and blindness skills are one example of that.

I have also heard references made by Paterson about his childhood. I
think he recognizes that he missed out on opportunities that many other
blind people have had. I think to some extent, he understands that he,
in an effort to avoid looking different or helpless, lost out. Surely,
his parents did the best they could with the information and blindness
resources they had at the time. Maybe they wanted him to pass as much
as possible so he wouldn't be negatively associated with a minority
class and thus lose opportunities as a result. Keep in mind that
Paterson's parents (and even Paterson himself) grew up in an era when
Black people also tried to pass because being Black meant less
opportunity. It still does. I suspect that living as members of a
heavily stereotyped minority class informed their opinion on how
Paterson's blindness ought to have been dealt with.

I think these are the concerns that debra brings to the conversation
about david Paterson, and in my opinion, her points are well taken.

Respectfully,
Jedi

.