[nabs-l] Debra Kendrick's article on Gov David Paterson

Alexander Castillo alexandera.castillo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 14:28:57 UTC 2010

Hi list, Debra Kendrick, in reference to Governor Paterson of NY"s
upbringing writes “it sounds to me like being perceived as
> sighted was more important to the family than
> getting the best education possible." Having heard Governor Paterson speak in person about this issue in particular at the NY State convention this October, I can say that this might be a misinterpretation of the goals of Governor Paterson’s, family. The article is correct in stating that his family moved so that the Governor could receive an education which was equal to that of his peers, but it lacks to mention that this also meant
 That he would be somewhat isolated from the technology and
innovations which his peers grew up being very familiar with. His
family had a choice between raising a blind child with extremely low
opportunities for a healthy and successful life, and raising a healthy
child with the opportunities to be successful in spite of his
blindness. They chose the ladder and so far, they have proven to have
made the correct decision.

Personally, I would love to see someone in a high public profile
position who possesses the abilities often positively stereotyped with
the blind, being a magnificent Braille reader, the ability to
understand speech at over 350 words a minute, impeccable travel
skills, knowledge of every accessible device known to exist, but these
 are stereotypes, perhaps not negative ones like the meek and feeble
blind person, or the blind person who has superhuman abilities to make
up for their lack of sight, and these stereotypes are not inclusive of
those people who are blind, and have found different methods of
adapting to the world around  them.

Let’s also consider that this is a person who has achieved a good
level of success, and who has mastered certain tasks and techniques
which have helped him adapt and function in a career where typically,
there are very few other blind individuals working in. How likely is
it that he will change his methods of interacting with the world at
this point of his life? He is not a computer programmer, or an IT
expert, or someone who may have easily been guided to use those tools
which we would today consider crucial for being a successful person
who happens to be blind. He has done great with a Telephone and a
couple of office workers. I am not saying that he couldn’t do much
more, I am saying that he’s done a lot, and again, it has not been in
light of his blindness, or because of his blindness that he has been
successful, it has been in spite of his blindness that he has done so.

Thank you,
Alex Castillo