[nabs-l] braille Note and internet connection

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 06:48:31 UTC 2010

Hi, Ashley,
  Have you read the Connectivity chapter in the Braille Note user
guide? It has some pretty detailed information about how to set up
Internet connections using the Connectivity menu within the options
menu. The connection itself is stable, but unfortunately, I would not
consider the experience of web browsing using the Braille Note an
ideal one as of Keysoft version 8. Yes, you can type emails in grade 2
braille, which is a big plus, but the Braille Note only supports the
pop mail server (downloading messages directly onto the machine for
reading), which is becoming less and less common in today's popular
mail programs. It displays all web pages in grade 2 braille, but you
have to type in computer braille when making search entries, and many
websites that are perfectly acessible with JAWS are extremely slow or
impossible to use with the Braille Note. I personally used the Braille
Note a lot for both emailing and web browsing when I first got it, but
over the years I have come to use my PC for most web-related tasks. I
do still access the Internet with my Braille Note, but it is mostly
for downloading books from Bookshare or NLS or just checking out the
various NFB publications; I also take advantage of the instant
messaging feature under Chat from time to time.
  I hope this information is helpful and feel free to let me know if
you have any more specific questions about using the Braille Note on
the Internet. I have been a Braille Note user for more than 5 years
and I'm using a 32-cell, MPower model just like yours, so I would be
happy to share any experience that may be helpful to you.
   Katie