[nabs-l] applying for a job

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 19:25:41 UTC 2010

I have a few sample cover letters from my Career class at the rehab
center, also. You'll find them below my message.

But while I know convincing someone of the nonexistance of writer's
block is as bad as trying to convince someone of the nonexistence of
God, I want to try...writer's block does not exist! Use an outline to
make sure you cover all the points. Mention why you are sending your
resume (phone interview, referred by so-and-so, saw an advertisement,
etc), what position you are applying for, and the basics of why you
feel you should get the position.

A controversial point that we discussed at last year's Student Seminar
here in NC is whether or not to put that you're blind in the cover
letter or resume. My position is that if you believe it is an
advantage, then put it, but explain how it is an advantage. For
example, many people who work at Apple stores do not understand the
access technology that is available on iPhones, iPods, and the iPad.
But as a blind person yourself, you very likely know a lot more about
the build-in screenreader than the other employees. So, if you have
worked with an iPhone or one of the other products, or if you've
worked with the build-in screenreader on the Apple computers, then
make sure to mention that in your cover letter or resume. However, I
feel that mentioning you are blind just because you are blind is not a
good idea. You need to show them how being blind is going to be *good*
for the position. An example in another job would be the psychologist
who is blind who says many clients feel more comfortable with her
because she can't 'stare' at them and they can feel more relaxed
without someone judging them, especially for clients who are shy, have
an eating disorder, or something similar to those.

Here are the sample cover letters I have:

 SAMPLE COVER LETTER #1 AND #2