[nabs-l] need help

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 18:33:16 UTC 2010

I don't understand why people insist on identifying universities that are
friendly to people with disabilities.  Forgive what may come across as a
blunt tone, but if students are going to make a large time and money
investment in higher education, they should select schools for their
programs, not for the capacity of the disability service.  At the Catholic
University of America here in DC the disability office didn't even know I
exist until the coordinator caught sight of me shortly before my graduation
procession, and you know, I think I did alright.

The natural argument that people raise at this point is that not all
students are built the same.  Some students need more help than others.
>From this corner, the bottom line is that if by college a student has not
figured out how to find readers, use scanners or negotiate testing
environments with their professors, they ought to consider training at a
center or dismiss the idea of going to college.  After high school,
education is an option, not a right.  College is only a fraction of the rest
of people's lives, and outside of the blindness field and government sector,
there are no special accommodation offices in the workplace.

Now, please do not misunderstand.  If a college offers a wide range of
accommodations, there is no reason why the student should not take advantage
where he or she feels it necessary.  Yet, stay in control of what you
actually need versus what is prescribed, and remember not to become so
dependent on these services that you are virtually helpless when you begin
competing against your sighted peers in the job market.

Respectfully,

Joe