[nabs-l] need help

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 19:10:49 UTC 2010

Jo,

You may some good points, but such points, in my opinion, only pertain
to pepople who were blind when they went to school. Many blind people
became such after they graduated from high school, some long after.
For example, I graduated from high school in 2003. I became blind in
2008, and I'll be starting my freshman year of college in the fall. I
went to the North Carolina rehab center for the blind to learn basic
techniques, but I didn't get into the college prep class because 1)
there's only one teacher for the class, 2) there's a long waiting list
for the class, and 3) there's a 15 week maximum at the rehab center.
This upset me to no end, because now I'm trying to go to college with
very little training in how to do so. I'm working with the DSS at the
community college, and I don't think I could do it without their help.

As for what to do for an accessible campus? First off, if there are
steps, there should be a ramp. I've seen too many places on campuses
where there are steps and the only way to go if you need a ramp is way
on the other side of the area. The ramp should not be out of the way.
And the stairs/steps must have a railing. Many people can use stairs,
but only if they can hold on to a railing. There should also be curb
cuts at all crosswalks and intersections.

All rooms (classrooms, offices, conference rooms, etc) need to have
Braille and large numbers, and the sign that has the numbers ain large
print and Braille should be in the same place for every room if
possible. At the community college I am attending in the fall, the
sign is not in the same place for each classroom and that can make it
hard to find the sign. When I'm rushing to find the right room number,
I won't have time to fumble for a sign that's not there.

Any building that has classroom on a second story should have an
elevator. No classroom should be inaccessible because of stairs or
steep inclines.

Any heavy door should have an automatic opener with a button. This is
not just for wheelchair-users. I use a white cane and a support cane.
Between those and my rolling backpack on a rope...I have no hands to
hold a door open! The same goes for someone who has a guide dog and
uses a support cane and some walker-users. It's really hard to hold a
door open while getting your walker through.

All fire alarms should have both an audible and visual alarm, but the
visual should not be at a strobe that causes seizures in people with
photosensitive epilepsy.

Any payphones available should have at least one with TTY
capabilities, even better if that TTY also has a refreshable Braille
display for the deafblind, though often deafblind persons have their
own refreshable Braille display with them, so if not possible to
provide one there, a TTY with Braille capabilities would be fine.

A tactile map is a great thing to have available. Having one placed
where the main map for sighted people is placed would be good, as well
as one in the disability office.

The disability office should have an embosser available for printing
Braille as needed, and be willing to scan books into Word documents
onto a CD or flash drive. Accessible computers should be available
wherever there is a group of computers (for example, the library
should have at least one computer with JAWS and one with ZoomText, and
the disability office should have a bank of accessible computers).

All sites that are used in classes and the website for the school
itself should be fully accessible. If it is not, it should be
re-designed to be accessible. If a website used for a class (for
example, my Spanish class in the fall uses a website in conjunction
with the book. It is accessible as far as I have been able to test it
without the book).

Other accessibility issues would include closed caption and
descriptive services for videos shown for a class, water fountains
that don't stick out into the hallway (a cane will not find it and a
blind person may run into it, as I have in the past), and enough room
between chairs, in hallways, and in doorways for a wheelchair to pass.

Read the ADA's checklist for accessibility to get some more ideas.
Accessibility is not about services so much as it is about universal
design in structure of buildings, classes, and services. People with
disabilities don't need extra services, just equal ones.

~Jewel