[nabs-l] need help

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 18 19:36:09 UTC 2010

Hello hina,

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say that you are working on a project to make a campus more accessible for students with disabilities. If you are concerned about the lack of Braille signs throughout the campus, then perhaps you might want to think about putting a group of people together who would be willing to work on such a project. I could see this as a good project for bringing awareness to Braille literacy.

As far as which universities are good for people with disabilities, especially for those who are blind, I would probably say that any college or university that does not have a disabilities office or does not force you to work with the disabilities office would be the best way to go. While it is nice to have someone else do all the work when it comes to providing accommodations, it can be equally frustrating when they fail to follow through and do not do what they say they are going to do.

Perhaps others have had a different experience, but I find working with the disabilities office to be more annoying and frustrating than helpful. I use their services only when necessary or when I do not have the resources to provide the accommodations on my own. When money is tight, you sometimes have to choose what you can live with and what you can live without. Sometimes I think life would be easier if I was not forced to work with the disabilities office to receive accommodations.

As someone who has tried working with the disabilities office to improve the quality of accommodations on campus, I can tell you that it is a vary daunting and time-consuming task. While I am all for improving things so that everyone can benefit from it, there comes a point in time where you have to think more about yourself rather than trying to help out someone else.

Hopefully this helps,
Elizabeth