[nabs-l] need help

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 19:43:58 UTC 2010

Hina,
My university (University of Arkansas at Little Rock) I think is a good model for campus accessibility for students with disabilities. When I graduated from high school and was considering this university, I heard that even though the campus was accessible , but the disability office was not that friendly and the faculty was not that understanding about how to help students with disabilities. How big is this university? It would not hurt a big university with some money to purchase some adaptive technology such as screen readers and ocr software. It would not hurt for the disability office to do a small workshop for faculty at the start of the fall semester before students start classes for the faculty on techniques for assisting students with disabilities and make them aware of accomadations available for them such as extra time on tests and so on. Form my personal experience most faculty have good ententions but they just forget somethings such as a
 blind student can not read the board so what they write on the board needs to be said orally. These are just some of my tips but email me off list or come on msn messenger and I am sure I will think of some more.
Anmol
I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.
Hellen Keller