[nabs-l] need help

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 21:33:57 UTC 2010

Hina,
What universities are good for people with disabilities is a matter of
opinion.

When you say accessible campus, do you mean accessible environment or
accessible in terms of the academic curriculum.  I don't know so I'll
address both.

For the environment I second what Jewel said.
Any steps should be near a ramp rather than on the other side of the
building.  All steps should have railings.  I
find the railing very helpful for balance purposes.  Elevators should be
kept in good working order; I've been to campuses where the elevator is out
of order and takes forever to get it fixed.  The elevator should also have
braille and raised print numbers.
Curb cuts should be at all intersections.

With good training a blind traveler should not need much modification to the
environment.  That said
these things would be helpful in making orientation easier.
1. The university should have a tactile map of the campus available at
student services and the disability office.
2. Braille and large print raised signs should be by each room.  I've seen
some restrooms without braille signs and I have to ask what it says or get
closer and read it with my limited vision; I'm not kidding.  You don't want
to enter the wrong restroom!

3. Major entrances should have a button to automatically open the door.
This is helpful since I have a cane in one hand and may have something in my
other hand.

4. Some students have sensativity to lights.  So ideally the flexibility to
dim the lights in classrooms may be helpful.

5. If the university provides ATMS, they should have one with speech access.

6.  Cafeteria staff should have training in helping students such as
training in sighted guide .  You need them to help you know what is at each
station unless you have a friend walk the food line with you.

7.  Keeping hallways uncluttered and the absence of
such things as water fountains sticking out in the hallway is helpful.  Like
Jewel, I use a cane but I have hit a water fountain.
Also keeping advertisements on stands out of the hall is helpful too.  A
cane may not always find them because the sign only has two legs that your
cane may or may not contact.

For access to academics, I agree with what was said.  Websites for the
school and class use should be accessible.

It would be equal access also if the university purchased
adaptive software and technology.  Zoomtext and jaws should be available on
computers in the library.  Ideally I think the disability office should have
CCTVs and OCR software as well.  The university should be willing to scan
textbooks or get them in electronic format.

For class movies if they are not audio described and its unlikely they will
be, the professor should let the blind student borrow the  video so he/she
can watch it with a reader.  I ran into that problem too in a communication
class.

Ashley