[nabs-l] accessible digital recorders

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 23 17:19:45 UTC 2010

I'm looking into getting a digital recorder to record notes such as phone numbers at meetings and lectures.  I am already aware that the VR stream and other blindness made notetakers have digital recording capability.  But I am seeking a recorder that is small, light weight, durable, picks up audio at a range, and can organize notes by folders.  I'd like something to fit in my purse so I don't have to carry around an extra bag although I do anyway to put my Braille Note in and other matterials from lectures if on campus.
The problem with the Braille Note recording is it records in .WAV files and those are huge so you cannot fit many notes on a flash card.

So what do you recommend?  Which recorders are
accessible or semi accessible?  Some have beeps as you move around so you don't have to see the screen.
If its not fully accessible which parts are?
What is the voice range? I mean in a quiet room can it pick up a speaker's voice from several feet away?
Does it have the capability to hook up to a computer and convert the notes to MP3s, upload to the internet or do other things with it?

I'm thinking of getting this at Radio Shack or Best buy.

Thanks!

Ashley