[nabs-l] navigating parking lots/open spaces and other travelquestions

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 20:29:47 UTC 2010

Hi Kerri,

Good questions.  I also veer when I can't see the path ahead such as night
and I am also scared of getting lost outside.  I know exactly the feeling.
As Julie said outside  is so wide open and its harder to find people to ask
questions and get help.  I think practice will help you feel better.  Also
you might want to read up on safety precautions.  Generally, walking in an
city with other pedestrians is safer.  There is safety in numbers.  Is there
a friend nearby?  Let someone know you trust where you're going so if you
are missing, they know where approximately to find you.  You might want to
get a whistle if you feel vulnerable.  Something noisy like that will scare
muggers away hopefully.  Also definately carry a cell phone.

I cannot help you with the veering and walking straight across to find the
curb and trash area.  Maybe asking someone to help you find landmarks  would
help.
Just listen for cars and perhaps take the trash out at a less busy time.
Check with the owner of the complex.  But I would imagine middle of the day
would be less busy because many residents will have left for work.
Is there a crosswalk you can feel with your cane or see?  If you have no
vision, relying on landmarks and perhaps a raised crosswalk would help.
I believe in modifying the environment to some extent for us.  Some
Federationists don't but I believe implementing such accessible designs
helps all of the public.
Some accessible features might be a tactile crosswalk, making a signal that
is audible there so you can cross and have the right of way, or placing a
landmark on the other side of the curb for you as an orientation clue.

As for finding the right apartment building, find landmarks.  Is there
something distinct about your building vs others?  Sounds?  Maybe smells of
flowers?  For finding your door, you could place something by your door or
on the door as long as there's no rules against it.  Putting a rubber band
or ribbon on the doorknob would help.  A wreath or decoration on the door
would work if you can see it from a short distance.  Flowers by the door is
another option.

You said
"However, I am still very scared about
getting lost outdoors. What is the best way to deal with this? Is it the
same concept as getting lost inside a building...jjust walk
around, and ask assistance when you hear someone coming?"

Yes, that is what I've done so far and blind travelers  indicate they ask
lots of questions in unfamiliar places.  So far though I'm not employed yet
and have not been many places unfamiliar.  I know how you feel; its a scary
world and often pedestrians are not given much consideration.
Outside don't get too near people.  Observe the environment and ask someone
you might trust.  Pedestrians gathering at street corners are generally
helpful.  Unless you're in a tourist area like DC, pedestrians likely know
the area and can ive you good information on what they see around the block
or what is nearby.
Don't ask anyone that is smelly or talking in a bad manner.  I don't want to
scare you, but around bus shelters and subway stations I've observed some
loud behavior, cursing, and people that could have been on drugs or
homeless.
So yes ask questions, but do so carefully.  Other generally safe places to
solicit assistance or information is stores, malls, and eateries.

Finally, your cane question.  When walking in a hall with your cane,  where
there's doors along the sides, I use constant contact.  Indoors, I don't
feel you need the info of tapping the cane and besides you can feel the door
openings  if you touch the side of the hall with your cane.  Also I don't
like nor need the noise of the cane taps in this environment.

HTH,
Ashley