[nabs-l] navigating parking lots/open spaces and other travelquestions

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 21:01:41 UTC 2010

Hi Kerri and all,

I'll write more later but just wanted to say that moving cars in
parking lots aren't a major safety hazard. When I was growing up I was
always taught to avoid walking in parking lots or crossing driveways
and it wasn't until I went to Louisiana that I realized that walking
in a parking lot isn't a big deal. Cars move slowly and they won't
pull out if they see you crossing their path. Even if some idiot is
speeding in a parking lot, you'll hear them coming and you can simply
stand still and let them go by. When I cross a driveway or an
uncontrolled street, I usually stand and count to five and if it's
quiet for five seconds and I don't hear anyone coming after five
seconds, I judge that it's safe. Even if someone is coming, if you
can't hear them when you start crossing, they're too far away to hit
you before you finish crossing. Sighted people often fear that we
won't detect cars in time to avoid crossing their path, but the fact
is that except for some very quiet hybrids, almost allcars make enough
noise to be detectable by the time they're close enough to require
your attention.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org