[nabs-l] interacting with the public in a customer service type role

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 19 15:54:16 UTC 2010

Hello Patricia,

Personally, I do not see anything wrong with you bringing your Braille display up to the front of the office when you are working there. If other members of the office have access to those computers on a temporary basis, then I do not see any reason why you cannot have temporary access to those computers as well. Also, if your computer is a laptop rather than a desktop, you could just bring your computer with you when you are working in the front of the office. I do not know what kind of computer you have, so I do not know if this would work in your particular situation. Perhaps some more technically minded people on the list could give you a few more suggestions if these ones do not work out for you.

As far as interacting with people in the front part of the office, does the door make some kind of noise when people come into the office? Sometimes there is a chime that goes off when someone opens the door, or sometimes there are bells hanging from the doorknob that jingle when someone opens the door. In either case, if you take note of what kind of noise the door makes, you can just simply greet people as they walk through the door. You could either get up and physically meet them at the door, or you could simply look up towards the door and say hello. Again, I do not know what your office environment looks like, so this may or may not work for your particular situation. But hopefully it will give you a few things to think about as you figure out what works best for you.

Elizabeth