[nabs-l] Technology, Print and Readers

Darrell Shandrow darrell.shandrow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 22:12:27 UTC 2010

  Hello Everyone,

This is an excellent topic! :-)

Here in the 21st century, I expect virtually all computer-generated
documents and forms to be made accessible to me as a blind person. The
only exception might be documents that have been hand written, which
almost never happens these days.

In my way of thinking, if some information is accessible to a sighted
person, it ought also be made accessible to a blind person. That's equality.

I do agree that, when no equal access is provided, a blind person must
work with a sighted reader in order to get business done.

In the case of incident 1 with the U.S. Census, the federal agency needs
to go all the way with respect to making sure the entire census process
is fully accessible to blind citizens without need of sighted help. It's
simply our right as American tax paying citizens and probably required
by at least Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

In the case of incident 2, shame on the blind lawyer! He shouldn't have
allowed his thoughtlessness or unwillingness to get sighted help to
adversely affect his case and cause harm to his client!

If I were the blind lawyer, I would absolutely acquire the printed
documents as a normal part of the discovery process, and I would
certainly at least ask for the same materials in electronic format. I
would ask, but I would not just wait for the accessible copies in order
to move forward on my job.

I appreciate Gary's perspective on these issues, but feel Mike Freeman
is sometimes a bit too radical on the "use a reader" side of the scale. :(

Even in our personal business nowadays, Karen and I use the phone,
online banking and other websites to deal with our financial and
household needs. Even in the case of dealing with non-regulated
businesses, if they want us to do something, I now insist they work with
us in an accessible format. It has been my experience that, if I tell
the person I am blind and I need things done in a certain way in order
to meet their requirements, they actually will find a way to make the
information accessible! When worse comes to worse, I ask for managers
and let them know that, just like they have their company policies, I
have my own corporate policy that anyone I'm dealing with needs to
reasonably accommodate me. Believe it or not, this approach works, always!

So, my conclusion is that we shouldn't be afraid to ask for and demand
equal access to information and technology, but we need to be prepared
to do what needs to be done when that accessibility is not forthcoming
in a timely manner.

Blind people who demand equal access are actors, not victims.

Regards,

Darrell