[nabs-l] Technology, Print and Readers

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 30 22:15:38 UTC 2010

Hello,

To me, it seems that my responsibility as far as getting printed
inaccessible electronic information into a format that is accessible to me
is both my own responsibility and that of the producer of the visual
information.  For example, I hire my own reader to translate my textbooks.
At the same time, I take advantage of textbooks that are available through
RFB&D.  I believe that the publisher of a textbook should make it available
in an accessible electronic format.  I do not believe that waiting for them
to do this on my part is acceptable, however.  I must strive for
accessibility of textbooks and I must strive to have the ones that are not
currently accessible translated.  If not, I would be far behind my peers in
school.  If I can do so, I would rather provide any necessary adaptations,
such as providing my own braille display or screenreader, when applying for
and performing a job.  An employer will be more likely to hire someone who
is capable and able to solve challenges.  Again, this does not mean that I
think it is acceptable for employers to be negligent in making material
accessible.  Once I have obtained the position, I can use my own tools.  If
necessary, I can ask for any that I may need to be provided by the employer
or discover an alternative way to obtain the equipment.  I think that
accessibility should be a strong goal for the society to work toward and
that information should be available in an accessible and usable format.
Part of being equal is being equal.  This means that I can have access to
information in my preferred format just as a sighted person can have access
in his preferred format.  It means that if a sighted person is expected to
fill out ten reports that I should be expected to fill out ten reports.  A
question for thought might be: Is being equal equivalent to adapting to and
complying with the majority; or, is being equal treating everyone the same
by providing technology, resources, etc. in a format that they can access,
use, and/or prefer?  I am now finished rambling on this matter.  Anita