[nabs-l] On Study Groups

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 6 07:34:17 UTC 2010

Hi Ginny,
This is probably too late to be of use, but I've had a lot of experience in
this area and hope it will help you.

I was fortunate to be part of a study group by chance, as the tutor I had
taught several of my classmates. It took some time for them to realize that
I could contribute to the group as much as any of them, though. It was just
a matter of persistence on my part. Then when the marks came out and I was
doing better than them, they realized I didn't need to be "helped" as much
as "worked with as an equally viable group member".

In other classes, the students are able to send e-mails to each other
through the Blackboard portal system. I wrote to my class asking if any of
them were interested in joining an online study group through Skype, a
program which allows people to talk to each other provided they have a
microphone and an Internet connection. It's a free program. This has seemed
successful thus far.

I find that simply turning to the person next to me (provided they make
noise so I know they're there!) and starting up a conversation is a great
way to meet people to form study groups. They're in lecture too so they're
taking the same classes, probably have similar interests at some level, and
are also a captive audience. If they're not interested in studying in a
group setting they're at least someone to ask questions of if you get lost,
take notes for you if you miss class, or read printed documents to you that
won't scan. Many of these things can be reciprocated by you (taking notes,
recording lectures, etc.) so it's a give and take relationship. Often this
leads to long-term relationships too which is great when spirits are low.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Sarah