[nabs-l] Self- Defense Class Anyone?

Katy Carroll kc2992a at student.american.edu
Mon Mar 15 19:52:54 UTC 2010

Hi Elizabeth,

I am partially sighted and take tae kwan do classes very frequently in my
spare time. I started the martial art as a 1-credit class at my university.
I basically took a casual approach to the class and worked with my teacher
so that he knew exactly how much I could see and so forth. He was very
thoughtful and would change his teaching style if I reminded him. He would
show me variations of defense moves, even once showing me how to use my cane
as an effective weapon.

It seems though that you are on a tighter schedule, and that you won't have
time to develop a relationship with your teacher, I recommend just asking
questions, and continually show your interest in thae class, which will give
your teacher the desire and opporunity to acknowledge your vision as a
factor in your self-defense.

Best,
Kate

--