[nabs-l] being scholastically social?

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 00:11:53 UTC 2010

In middle school, I would jump at the opportunity to get involved in as much
as my parents would allow. I did Student Government, Jazz Band, and a  Youth
Leadership organization that focused on competitive debate and public
speaking (think like a junior Toastmasters International). I couldn't wait
for high school when I'd have even more interesting groups and activities to
choose from.

When I got to high school, I encountered a lot of...problems...with the
school's Vision department (which is sad since I only went to this high
school because we were told it offered the most for visually impaired
students). I could go on all day with the details here, but I'll spare you
that. One of these issues was the fact that blind students at this school
tended to be very...disconnected from the rest of the student body, avoiding
activities and student events. I learned shortly after joining Model UN and
Psychology Club, attending the first Freshman dance, and planning to go to a
pep rally that the Vision department wasn't happy with the fact t I joined
and attended these clubs without telling them first, and that if I was going
to keep attending, they'd need my mother to write up a permission note (no
other student needed to do this) and they would have to first find a teacher
to stay late in the day and basically babysit me while I attend these
activities. Oh, and I wasn't allowed to go to that pep rally unless I sat
with my TVI and the other teachers, not in the Freshman stands with my
class. My mother and I told them that all of this was unnecessary, and we
complained to the principal, but between this and a number of other issues,
we just ended up taking matters into our own hands.

We registered as a home schooling family, and joined a home school support
group with about 70 or so other families in the county. I took advantage of
my new freedom and got involved in a ton of extracurricular activities in my
community, even sports (something that never would have flown at that
school). Now that I'm in college, I try to get involved on campus and in the
city when ever I can. I joined the university's fencing club, a volunteer
organization, and I'm currently applying to Psi Chi. I also try to get the
most out of campus cultural events like plays or concerts, and make use of
campus facilities like the gym. THe only issue I've been having is that
transportation in my city. The only bus that comes near by house recently
changed its schedule and now stops running early in the evening. The only
way to really go out in the evening for any sort of event or get home from a
club meeting is to take a cab or ride with a friend, but you need to get out
a bit first to make those sighted friends. I find that if money is tight one
month, it's pretty unlikely that I'll be doing much outside of attending
class, including attending free activities or events. I guess that's just
one price of living off campus though.